Wednesday, March 7, 2012

Kony 2012



An hour ago if you were to bring up "Kony 2012" I wouldn't have any idea what you were talking about.  Then I watched this video on youtube:

(This video is about 30 minutes long, but well worth it to find out who Kony is....)


This youtube video was posted on Monday, and as of right now there are 7 million views, which I'm sure will change with each second that passes by. 

I never even knew about this LRA (Lord's Resistance Army) group, and their leader Joseph Kony (pictured below).


Actually when I watched this it reminded me of some of the movies I've seen where you have children as soldiers, who are ordered by a leader to kill people.  But you know you never really connect what we see in movies to real life, so of course I watched the movie, went on with my day but never paid much attention to it.  Then I seen this clip about Joseph Kony and his army of children, and I can't help but feel like I want to do something.  What made it seem even more real to me is that the co-founder of this Kony 2012 movement Jason Russell shared that they abduct kids as young as his sons age, and he's not much older than Baby Moe. I can't imagine being one of the many parents whose kids are abducted at night, and forced to be part of his army. And even girls are abducted to become his sex slaves. 

Jason Russell, co-founder of Kony 2012
I know I can't do much (directly) for these children and their families, but I hope that by blogging about it, and getting some word about it out there, I too can help make a difference.

Take the Pledge, Make a Difference
www.kony2012.com
"Since 1987, Joseph Kony has abducted more than 30,000 children in Central Africa and forced them to be child soldiers in his Lord’s Resistance Army. The KONY 2012 campaign employs film, social media, street art, and face-to-face interaction to make the case that the arrest of Joseph Kony this year is one thing we can all agree on."

2 comments:

  1. I saw all the hype about Kony on fb and didn't even know what it was about. I just watched the video now. How horribly sad! I'm about to make my own blog post about this horrible man....here's to Kony 2012

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I don't have a FB so though posting on my blog may not reach as many people, I figured it's something. I would hate to worry about the safety of my kids within my own home, so i can't imagine what the parents of those kids r going through... he definitely needs to be stopped...

      Delete