Wednesday, February 8, 2012

What to do... What to do???

Instead of working on my response paper for english that's due tonight, I'm stuck trying to decide what I should do.  Lately I've been thinking a lot about our education, and I'm coming back to how I use to feel before. I first wanted to explore other options (as in my major) other than nursing, because I didn't want to be in school for THAT long.  Now I'm back in school for a Nursing Degree, and I'm starting to reconsider that major because of the feeling of how LONG it's going to take.  Maybe, it's also because I've never actually had experience in the field, and so I question if it's really something that'll I'll like/want to do for the rest of my life (though that's what I've always felt like since High School).

My interest in Nursing was sparked in our Health Occupations class with Mrs. Nielsen in High School.  I was part of the red cross club (as the secretary) and we went to different events, sometimes on weekends, and I enjoyed it.  She taught us how to do CPR, etc. and that's when I knew I wanted to do something in the medical field.  Now that it's been what 10 years, I still get that same desire, but then that desire gets overshadowed by my other desire of NOT wanting to be in school for that long.

I've also been thinking of being a CNA, then hopefully I can find a job as a CNA, and then get some experience in the field that way.  At least if I do that now, I still have time to change my mind if I decide to, and if I don't, then even better, I'll have experience under my belt.

So decisions, decisions.  I wish I wasn't so indecisive about what I want to do. :/


6 comments:

  1. omg i was literally in the exact same boat as you and since ive actually gone through a lot of the stuff you just wrote about, can i offer my advice? ok so first of all, i was just like you. in the health occupations class with ms. nielson, in the red cross club....do u remember? i remember seeing u. anyway, i always knew i wanted to do something in the medical field, and i thought since i want to be a mom too, becoming a doctor is out, but maybe nursing might be a good option. anyways i planned to do that for forever, but that route never did work out for me. but that was honestly for the better because for one of the schools i applied at i had to have a cna so i did that, and during my three 8 hour shifts of clinicals i was literally dying!! like i hated it with a passion. and i didnt even really have to do anything. i was mostly observing and doing some stuff. but i did have to help bathe some old people and watch them change some diapers. it was nasty and i dunno i just really didnt like it. when i would get home at night id be such a grouch and finally after the 3 days spencer was like are u sure u want to do this? u never seem happy when u get home afterwards. anyways, the other thing that confirmed to me that i didnt want to do that was having hina. i was shocked at all of the things the nurses had to do with me. i had a 4th degree tear so it was really bad and they had to do all kinds of nasty things for me. i was so grateful to them but realized that wow, i cannot do something like that. anyways, that was when i found out about the pta program. its still in the health/medical field, minus all the dirty stuff, you know? i love it because its the perfect balance. i mean they dont make as much as nurses, but its still good. (and it depends where you go for the pay too) like utah ptas usually get between 20-24/hr as a new grad (19 on the lower end), hawaii ptas get between 16-20/hr and in texas 2 of the grads from my school got jobs for 30/hr and 32/hr since that is where the highest need is. cali ptas get paid a lot too. so it really just depends where you go. the huge plus to this though is its waaaay less schooling. you only have to get an associates and take the licensing exam after you graduate. plus u probably already have some of the classes u need under your belt. so in my case, i only had to do a year to finish this program. so maybe that might be something u want to consider. i mean thats pretty good pay for an associates degree yah? salt lake community college has a pta program as well as provo college. maybe u should look in to it to see if thats something u might want to do. it will cut out a lot of schooling for you and its not as competitive as nursing either. anyways, sorry for the longest comment ever. oh and ps-u can even get a nurses schedule too. like my internship right now im working mwf 8-8, so thats still considered fulltime but i get 4 days off w/ my kids. nothing beats that, right??? perfect for a momma! anyways lmk if u have any questions!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks crystal! And yes your information was very very helpful! See I wanted to take the CNA class so I can have insight into the nursing field but I don't want to pay money for it lol... I'll definitely have to look into it, cause honestly I keep telling myself that I DONT want to work in a hospital/clinic setting but then it's like.. Well
      Where else would u go? Lol I definitely explore my options now while it's still early.. Thanks sis for your help and I'm glad you found what you want to go in! And you're almost done too! :) lucky you :) lol

      Delete
  2. I had that class w/ Mrs. Nielsen too! I'm in the same dilemma of changing majors. I'm a Political Science major, but after having a family and seeing my preferences and tastes mature, I'm looking to a major (business management) that is: 1. more marketable for when I choose to return to work and 2. complementary to a family lifestyle. The problem with changing is adding another 2 yrs of school. But, I don't mind. As long as my husband gets his degree and a job that he LOVES, we're patient with my educational goals.

    One of my best friend's is doing nursing right now at HPU and is in her final year. It has taken her this long to finally graduate...and realize that she doesn't want to be a nurse and actually has a passion for fashion and interior design. She too doesn't want to work in a hospital/clinic setting, but she will just finish out through graduation and see from there what she wants to do.

    Like I told her, you're still young and still have the luxury of changing things up. I'm going to help her look into UH's fashion design program while she stills has a day job in nursing.

    I say stick to what ever the spirit tells you. You and the Lord knows what's best for your personal happiness and the well-being of your family. Sometimes what you focus on in school ends up having nothing to do with where you end up working. Whatever you choose, it'll work out itself. It's just getting through that "choosing" part haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aww man I feel for your friend, but you're right! It's never too late.. In talking to my husband I
      Figured a lot out. I guess I realized that just cause something sounded good in high school doesn't mean I still have to stick by it. I even told him that I've come to realize that I don't think I want to be that personal with people. Lol I don't want to have to touch anyone, let alone anyone touch me lol. Which won't work so well in a nursing degree. Lol so that's a big step for me lol

      Delete
  3. I think u need to think and pray really hard about what it is that you have a natural talent at. Ask your parents, siblings, husbands, friends, and other family members. Once you figure out what you're good at, you can try and make that into a career choice. I have decided to go into nursing, but am specific with the area I'm going into. I am going into labor and delivery, maternity nursing. I love watching new life come into this world, and I love taking care of the mothers who have just given birth. My gift is compassion and patience as stated in my patriarchal blessing, so I feel that is the perfect fit for me. Good luck in your goals, and aspirations!! :)
    P.S.
    Thanks to the friend who commented first about PT's my hubbys thinking about doing that now. lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dianna! Yeah I've talked to fehi about this, and I told him that it's funny how things can change over the years. I thought too about going into labor and delivery as a nurse, but I'm not 100% on that. I've just decided to continue what I'm doing now (finish the classes i'm taking now), take the summer break, keep praying and fasting about it and hopefully I'll figure something out soon or I receive an answer soon. Thanks for the tips sis! and I wish you the best on becoming and Labor & Delivery Nurse! :)

      Delete