Friday, November 11, 2011

Kesaia 18 month Check-Up



Yesterday Kesaia had an appointment with Dr. Vierra for her 18 month check up (though she's 19 months now).  Her height seems to be fine, however her Dr. was concerned for her weight.  She's on 19 lbs 10 oz. and according to their ''charts'' she's too skinny.  All I could think of was my sisters.  I explained that in my family, I'm the fattest one. LOL. And that's my sisters are the same way, they eat but don't gain.  She asked if Kesaia eats her meals, and I assured her she does eat (as in we DO feed her lol) and sometimes she can eat more than her brother.  She gave me a list of ways to help up her calories, and let me tell you it shocked me (I'll explain later).  And because we were all just getting over a cold, she was a little concerned cause she didn't sound too good, and she saw that she had an ear infection.  She gave some albuterol (with the nebulizer) and she was happy to hear it clear it up rather quickly, and there was no pneumonia (thank goodness).  So now we're faced with congestion, ear infection, and her being too skinny.

Dr. Vierra then went on to discuss ear tubes.  Baby Moe had to have ear tubes put in because he just had a lot of ear infections, and it seemed as if he couldn't ever drain that liquid out. He's had the tubes in since April and has not had one ear infection since then, and that's what Dr. Vierra is thinking of doing for Kesaia.  She had a quite a few ear infections, or maybe just one that didn't go away, earlier this year.  And now she has another one, so she suspects that maybe she's been dealing with one infection after another, that she's just not able to gain weight.  We ended up drawing some blood, to run some tests, and then she sent us off to get some meds for ear infection and to clear her lungs. Now back to that list of foods that can help increase calorie intake.  To me, Kesaia is a lot skinnier than most 1 year olds, however, she doesn't lack in anything else.  She's really smart. At the appointment Kesaia kept talking to me asking for things, and Dr. Vierra said "wow, she is really good talking, she really pronounces words nicely" and I agreed, then she said "you must be reading a lot of books to her..." lol.  Of course I agreed, but in my mind I was like "no, she's just really smart and picks up really quickly what we teach her" lol.
She can definitely fatten up on ice-cream! LOL

Anyhow, back to that list. At first I started reading it, and it talked about putting vegetable oil in their food, or using milk or creams instead of water (like in soups), or having a lot of dipping sauces for them, and even ice-cream! Okay, they should've warned me that this list wasn't going to be healthy ways, it was going to be fattening ways (of course, hello we're trying to increase calories!) lol.  I was just shocked at all the foods they say you should feed them, because in the end when she's obese, they'll say she shouldn't eat any of those foods. Lol, isn't that ironic! Anywayz, we just decided we'd make more of an effort to make sure she's eating more, and actually sitting there with her while she takes her time to eat.

Oh the motherly duties (and worries) it NEVER ends! lol

**Other than that, our family is doing great. Fehi and I are trying to finish out this semester, and plan our thanksgiving! :)

4 comments:

  1. wow, that IS ironic!!! who woulda thought??? lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know right! So in an attempt to "fatten" her up.. last night I put mayo in her curry and let me tell you, I don't know how she ate it, but she ate it all and wanted more. Lol. I couldn't do that lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is ironic! Too funny! All of my kids have been off the charts HUGE and my pediatrician gives me lists to help them lose weight....hahaha I think that as long as she's eating, it's ok to be skinny!

    ReplyDelete
  4. she is sooooo cute! fatten up? she is PERFECT! beautiful!

    ReplyDelete