Tuesday, November 22, 2011
1 Year Mark: R.I.P. DeeDee
I can't believe it's been a year today since my little cousin DeeDee passed away. As I sit here blogging about it, I'm getting emotional just thinking about it. I remember him when we were little and they use to live down the road from us. I remember him as "little DeeDee" and that's what makes things so sad for me. I picture his 5/6 year old self, and it makes me sad.
A year ago I remember cleaning the kitchen when I got a phone call from my sister Mele. I answered the phone, and all I could hear was her crying. She then said "Lani, DeeDee died." There was no need to ask "which DeeDee?" or question who she was talking about, because there's only one DeeDee. Immediately, I yelled "What?? What do you mean?!?!" and I started to cry. She cried and told me what happened, and I just went back downstairs into my room and cried to my husband. He hugged me and told me how sorry he was.
There was so much controversy and talk as to how or why he chose to go the way he did, but beneath it all I believe everyone just wishes they could understand. However, his death has made a great impact not only his family but also his friends and the community. His death came right after the Laie temple was dedicated, and before thanksgiving. He'll always be remembered, and I know he was a loving spirit. He has touched the lives of so many people, I don't think he knew what impact his death has actually made on the community.
Today marks a year, and though it's sad to know he's gone I'm comforted in knowing what lies ahead for him. Because of him, I see one of my best friends, who's married to his older brother (my cousin), I see them prepare to enter the temple and do temple work for DeeDee. I can't wait, and I'm excited for that day. I love you my dear little cousin Keoni Phellman "DeeDee" Tafuna, continue to watch over your family and friends as they find strength through you this day. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment