I thought I'd take the time to just blog about my wonderful experience today, now that my little man is asleep.
At 7:49am this morning we welcomed our 3rd child, our baby boy:
Maile Hinckley Latu
He weighed 7 lbs 6 oz, and is measuring at 20.5 inches long. And we are just so excited and happy to finally have him here. I actually think I'm still in shock at everything.
The Birth Story:
I started having contractions at around 5:30am. I had just barely fallen asleep at about 2 am, and was awakened by the contractions. The first couple contractions I just laid in bed trying to figure out if it was the real deal or if it was a false alarm. When I felt the pain in my back, I knew it had to be the real deal. So right away I started to monitor my contractions. They were coming every 5 minutes. They weren't too bad, but then they started to come every 3-4 minutes and the intensity of them starting increasing.
At 6:40am I decided to call my husband who was at work to let him know that my contractions had started. He usually doesn't get home from work until about 7:30am so I figured I'd tell him, but I thought I'd be ok even if he came home at that time. Ten minutes later I started to really feel the contractions and I started to get that feeling like I needed to push. I quickly jumped in the shower, and just as I got out I heard the door open and my husband running up the stairs. It's a good thing he came home at the time he did because he knew that I was most likely ready to go (by how hard I was squeezing his hand, and my screaming and grunting lol). I just wasn't believing that it was possible to be "ready" because I had only been in labor for an hour and a half. The whole time I was contracting, I had been keeping a log on my iPad. I looked back and noticed that the last time I had recorded a contraction was at 7:17am. Right after that is when we left the house and headed over to the hospital.
As we were driving there I still kept having that strong urge to push. When we finally arrived at the hospital I checked in with them and they quickly got me in my room. They got me dressed in the hospital gown and got me on the bed then they checked my cervix and to my surprise they said I was fully dilated and I was ready to go. However, my water hadn't even broke yet and my midwife (or any of the midwives) were not there. They kept telling me to hold on and don't push, and in my mind I was like "really?!?" lol. Then they finally had a Dr. come in and I honestly felt like she was probably a newbie because she wasn't doing anything! And bless the nurse that helped me (I need to get her name) she held my hand and told me to listen to my body and if I needed to push, then go right ahead, that it was ok. I swear I wanted to just grab her and kiss her for saying those magical words to me.
Like I said I think the doctor was a newbie because she just stood there, she didn't break my water, and because I was given the "go" to push by the nurse, I just started to push that I broke my own water bag... Ahem.. And it sprayed everywhere lol! (TMI I know lol). I apologized to the doctor cause she had to wipe her face (just a little bit) but then 3 pushes later and he was out. :)
You have no idea how HAPPY I was to not have to deal with the pain of contractions anymore! Lol I'm just glad that my husband came home at the time he did because if he had come home at 7:30am, the time he usually comes home, I probably would've given birth at home or in the car.
This is by far the fastest labor and delivery that I've ever heard of! From start (contractions) to finish (birth) it was only a little over 2 hours! It's still all very crazy to me, but I'm very happy it's over and done with. And I'm especially happy I was able to go unmedicated once again.
All is going well with us right now, I'm just waiting for my kids to get here so they can meet their little brother "baby Hinckley"! :)




Congrats Lani! U look great and baby is such a cutie! <3
ReplyDeleteCongrats Lani! U look great and baby is such a cutie! <3
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your little cutie ;)
ReplyDeletecongratulations! and good for you-- 2 hours?! SO GOOD! you look GREAT too! i'm sure you will have a speedy recovery as well! much love to you and your beautiful family!
ReplyDelete