Thursday, September 29, 2011

Home Is a Special Place to Me...

"... In the middle of the sea..." (I love that song) lol  Well we FINALLY made it to Hawaii on Thursday night! Here's a little bit of what's been going on... We flew to San Francisco on Thursday morning, the flight was suppose to leave at 835am but was delayed till 1040am, we got to SFO and just stayed at the airport for about 5-6 hours before our flight left. The flight was WIDE open, for real! There were like 64 people on standby and everyone made the flight, that's how open it was, and I think there were a few seats open even after clearing everyone.  We landed in Hawaii about 745pm and my mom was waiting for us.  When she pulled up Ila first said "Mom you lie!"  I never told Ila that we were coming down, and neither did my mom.  So when they came to the airport my mom told her that they were picking up her cousin and that they had kids that Ila needed to babysit. So when they pulled up Ila jumped out and grabbed Kesaia right away.  Oh and for another added surprise my mom brought us, well actually she said she brought it for Fehi, it was a garlic chicken plate and kalbi plate from Papa Ole's.  Lol. My mom knows my husband too well, those are his top two plates he always (more like 'only') gets from Papa Ole's.

The next day, Friday, was homecoming for Kahuku.  So in preparation for it we went to the little kahuku.org store to get shirts.  We got a little white dress for Kesaia that had a hoodie on it (picture below):




And for baby Moe we got him a black shirt:



And then I stuck to the old fashion Kahuku Football shirt (it was a white one) And my husband, well I didn't fully convert him to getting a shirt, but he did buy a hat, and didn't wear it.. what a monkey lol.  The game wasn't as exciting as it was my year (woo!woo! lol) but it was sooo good to be back home for a game. It was packed as usual, and it was loud, and there was yummmyyyyy food! Tita's grill was there selling their yum beef stew (and some other items... chicken, etc)  Aunty Darryl Whitford and her daughter was selling Laulau plates (with chicken long rice, laulau, rice, and lomi lomi salmon).  It was sooo nice to have hawaiian food! I love hawaiian food, probably more than tongan food!

The homecoming game was an alright game, they won at least, but there were too many close calls. But the company and actually seeing everyone and how they still have such pride for the team no matter what age you are, that's what I loved seeing.  Oh how I miss Kahuku! My husband and I have discussed many times about moving to Hawaii, he loves it here, and of course I do.  The only thing that stops us from making that move, is the fact that we may not be able to have a house of our home here, unless we inherit one from someone or we become rich and can buy one.  I told him if there was ever a day that we had enough money and bought a house here, that's the day we will move back to Hawaii.  I love the prices Utah has, and how it's realistic to get a house of your own there, but nothing will ever compare to the experience of growing up in Kahuku.  Or at least that's what I think.

Anyhow, after the game on Friday we made a 7's run, anyone from Hawaii knows what we mean by that.  So far our vacay has been fun, and we've been eating non-stop (as always).  I just love being home, when I'm here I feel relaxed, it's such a different feeling, and you really don't notice it until you move away and find yourself wanting to come back. I looove Hawaii (Kahuku in particular!) :)

1 comment:

  1. I didn't even grow up in Hawaii, but I love it. And like you, love the food. That is one of my weaknesses. I love Papa Ole's too -- garlic chicken, my favorite!!! Happy to hear you were able to take a trip back home. Hope you are doing good!

    ReplyDelete