Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Postpartum Recovery

Like I mentioned in my previous blog, I feel like I've been on the go since last monday... only 4 days after giving birth to my baby.  I keep thinking about how great I feel, and how I've recovered really well, and how energized I feel.  But then last night I had a rude awakening.  On Saturday I attended a baby shower for my husbands cousin and a friend there was asking me about when I gave birth and what not, and when I told her I gave birth a week ago, she just looked at me in awe and told me I'm crazy for being out already.  Then she brought up something that my sister-in-laws had once explained to me.. something called "kita" (I think that's how you spell it).  Well in the Tongan culture that's believed to be something that happens to you after you give birth if you don't get enough rest, etc.  I think it basically means getting sick (or something that effect) after giving birth.  Well after she kept bringing this up, I just said "no, I'm not afraid of getting that... I'm ok."  So since then I've still been on the go.  

The next day (Sunday) we went to church with all my kids and no hubby (he has to work every sunday at the same time we have church so I usually go by myself with the kids) and a lot of the ward members were surprised that I was already coming back to church.  I only missed one sunday since I gave birth (the sunday after I gave birth) but I felt that if I could get out for all the other festivities that happened earlier in the week then I could definitely get up and go to church...so I did.  Yesterday I had laid in bed all day until we got up and went to run some errands and take the kids to the park. It wasn't until we got home and I laid down that I started to get some stomach pains. I just took it as a reaction to the McDonalds I ate, because it's been a while since I've eaten McDonalds.  But now it's the following morning and I'm still having those stomach pains/cramps and I've noticed that though my bleeding relatively stopped a couple days ago, I've started to bleed every now and then especially when I'm up and doing things.

So now I'm in bed telling myself to sit and relax.  I think maybe I did get up and out of bed a little too early after I gave birth.  It hasn't even been 2 weeks since I've given birth to my baby Hinckley, so I know I need to relax and let my body fully recover.  Sometimes I forget because I have so much on my plate, so much worry about, and I always feel like I have to get those things done but I think for now I need to retire my superwoman cape and let my body recover.  So my house will be messy for a few days, and there probably won't be any cooked meals either.. but it's ok just as long as my body rests and recovers. It's times like this that I wish my mom or grandma were here to help me out. But it's ok cause I have my hubby and little sister and they help me out a lot! Here's to recovering (for real!).

Me & Baby Hinckley at Church (in the Mother's Room of course lol)

Smile for me! :)

Took the kids out to the park/splash pad...
Me & Baby sat in the car because it was too hot outside!



2 comments:

  1. hey lani, congrats on baby again! you looks sooooo good! i was also told about "kita" -- i felt so good about my body healing within weeks after giving birth, i wanted to get back into shape ASAP, but thank goodness my mom was here to yell at me to calm the heck down lol... anyway, take care of yourself! you're doing great already so just take it slow while you can. love you guy and hope you feel better! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for more babies huh Lani?!! 3 is definitely the magic number!
    So, after I gave birth to Pika, I went to church the very next day I gave birth to him. We were living in TVA so on Monday (only 3 days after giving birth), I was walking to class at BYUH....and everyday after that. 2 weeks later, I had stomach pains and cramps. After that experience, I told myself that I would never do that again. So when I had my Amera, I didn't overdo my self and 2 weeks later my bleeding stopped (thank goodness I didn't have any tears after giving birth) and I was back in the gym at week 3. So yes, slow down and put your Super Mommy cape away only until you're fully recovered....then put it back on :-) Hope you recover well and fast. Take care and get better soon!

    ReplyDelete