Tuesday, December 7, 2010

My First Blog (finally!)

So I've decided to finally start blogging, one because I like reading everyone else's and two because well we finally have internet at home and I can keep up with it! 

So, what's new with me, the family, kids...

Well, I just started my new job as a Breastfeeding Peer Counselor at the rose park WIC office.. and let me tell you I'm just grateful that I was even considered for the job, I know it was all of Heavenly Father's doing.. I guess I should give you some background..

So I have two kids, Baby Mo is my 22 month old prince (turning 2 in Feb.) and Kesaia is my 8 month lil princess.  


My number one priority has always been my children, I have been that "stay-at-home mom" and I have enjoyed it.  There were times my husband has had to work 2 full-time jobs to support us, though it reality it seemed like one job paid for the bills the other job paid for our bad spending habits (lol no really) then we decided he needed to stick to one job and that it was time for the both of us to go back to school and get our degree's; start working towards a career rather than going from job to job.  After my daughter was born I was still adamant about staying home with her, then school came up and I gave myself a good 2-3 months of mental preparation time to leave my kids for what almost 4 hours a day, which if you know me well that was hard because I take my kids EVERYWHERE! like seriously, if I'm just going down the street they tag along with me, I'm attached! lol.. Anyways, so half way through the semester I started thinking about looking for a stay-at-home position.  Well I applied, and applied, and applied, and no reply! (u like that huh!? lol) So yeah, I knew they wouldn't hire me because 1. It's been 3 years since I worked, and 2. I have never work in a call-center so I know that I lack the experience in that.  I gave up trying.  We prayed for opportunities and Fehi kept saying we just have to keep looking, I know that an opportunity will arise.  

November 19, 2010 I had a WIC appointment at the Rose Park clinic.  I went to the back waiting room and undressed my daughter cause she was needing to be weighed and measured.  Well in the waiting room I saw a flier that said "Now hiring for Breastfeeding Peer Counselor, part-time) and immediately it was like the spirit confirmed to me what I needed to do.  The nutritionist then called me into their office and as she was printing my vouchers I saw a more detailed flier, it said:

Now Hiring:
Breastfeeding Peer Counselor
Have you breastfed?
Have you breastfed your baby for at least 8 months?
Do you speak english and spanish?
Would you like to share your breastfeeding experiences with others? (or something to that effect)

And I could answer YES to all the questions but one, I don't speak spanish.  So I decided to just ask about the job.  I asked if I would really need to speak spanish because I can answer Yes to all the questions but I don't speak spanish.  And she said yes, that she does believe they are looking for someone bilingual.  So that was it, she printed my vouchers then she got up and said she would be right back.  A couple minutes later she walked in with an application and said that she had talked to her boss ad her boss said that they would consider hiring someone who doesn't speak spanish for maybe 10 hours a week. And I was so happy.  I took the application and told her I would talk to my husband and then bring it back.  I told Fehi about it and he felt the same way I did, and so I filled out my application and took it in.   Then the one gave me the app (oops forgot her name!) well she asked me if I wanted to turn the app in to her boss and I did.  Reta (the boss) happened to be the one that printed my vouchers at my very first WIC appointment.  So yeah, we talked for a good 15 minutes and all sounded confirming that I would get hired.  5 days later, the day before thanksgiving, she called me and extended the job.

I know it's like, "wow only 10 hours a week? why even bother?" Like I said I'm still attached to my kids, and working only 2 hours a day is fine by me! I wanted to find a job that would allow me to get use to working again and also get me use to being away from the kids, but at a slow pace.  I'm very excited and had my official first day yesterday.  I spent the 2 and half hours that I was there reading manuals and answering questions, and then today we had training at the SLVHD.  It's wonderful to see all the other breastfeeding peer counselors and learn from their experiences.  I'm even more excited because I am allowed to take Kesaia with me to my training. I still breastfeed her and 9 hours away from her is too long for her to not be breastfed (btw, she refuses to take a bottle even if I pump milk) so yeah, I'm excited to start counseling and being of support for other women about breastfeeding. I only hope that they hold on to me even though I don't speak spanish, which is another thing I'll be working towards. Wish me luck that Kesaia sleeps majority of the time tomorrow and doesn't make a lot of noise or give me a hard time at training, she's usually a really good baby.. so I'm sure all will be fine (crossing my fingers!)

No comments:

Post a Comment